Sometimes I just don’t want oatmeal for breakfast! This hearty tofu bagel is one of my go-to’s when I feel that savory craving sneak up in the morning. It’s filling, protein packed and delicious.
Tofu Breakfast Bagel
Hearty breakfast bagel-- made with pan cooked tofu, grilled onions, avocado, Daiya and ketchup aoli.
Recipe type: Breakfast
- Everything bagel- or bagel of choice
- ½ block Organic extra-firm tofu
- I teaspoon tumeric
- ½ teaspoon coconut oil- for cooking tofu only
- Himalayan Salt
- ¼ cup Daiya Cheese- Cheddar shreds
- Avocado- as needed for topping
- ½ red onion
- Remove excess liquid from tofu block by using Tofu Press (or you can simply place it between paper towels or clean dish towel)
- Slice tofu thin squares, and place in hot skillet with a ½ teaspoon coconut oil.
- Pan cook for about 5-8 minutes on each side, turning every 2 minutes to avoid sticking.
- Once tofu is slightly crispy on both sides, evenly sprinkle with tumeric and Himalayan salt to taste, remove from heat.
- While tofu is cooking, slice red onion into big chunks and pan cook with a little coconut oil. Use a medium to low heat and let them turn to a translucent/slightly brown color. I like just a little bit of the caramelized taste.
- Remove onion from heat and set aside.
- Cut bagel, and place daiya shreds on one side of the bagel, then toast to desired crispiness (allowing the cheese to melt slightly).
- Then stack 3-4 tofu squares, grilled onion, avocado, and add ketchup/Vegenaise.
- Slice down the middle and enjoy!
You will have plenty of tofu squares and enough grilled onion to make multiple sandwiches! Or you can stick them in the fridge and use them for something else.