Store this recipe my friends, and USE IT!
I make this plant-based protein”main” dish weekly. It takes a relatively “scary” ingredient… TEMPEH… and removes all the rumors.
It’s NOT difficult to make, strangely textured, or bland.
It is delicious, easy to make and is extremely versatile. Which is why I teamed up with the meal prep master herself, Amanda Meixner (@MeowMeix) of Running Wild Blog, to feature this TMW Crumble recipe.
We tripled the below recipe and featured it in 3 delicious meals– Hearty Marinara Zoodles, Southwestern Tempeh Collard Wraps & a Veggie Kale Tempeh Salad with Zesty Garlic Cilantro Dressing. Stay tuned for these delicious recipes, and enjoy the delicious flavors of this tempeh dish and reap the benefits of the plant based protein.
- 1 package tempeh (8 oz) (crumbled)
- 2 Tablespoons liquid Aminos
- 2 Tablespoons Apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon maple or raw agave
- 2 cloves garlic
- ⅓ cup walnuts
- 1 cup mushrooms (diced)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Place coconut oil into skillet and heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove tempeh from package and crumble into small pieces with hand or pulse into small pieces with food processor.
- Cook tempeh crumbles for about 8 minutes until lightly golden.
- Add garlic, apple cider vinegar and liquid aminos and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, walnuts and maple to tempeh mixture and cook for an additional 3- 5 minutes.
- Mix well, remove from heat.
Mushrooms and walnuts are more than just pretty ingredients:
Mushrooms are a heart healthy food! They are a great source of Vitamin D, which helps the body in a variety of ways. Many people these days are vitamin D deficient, as the best source is derived from our skins absorption of sunlight… and many of us are stuck inside the majority of the day. The fiber, potassium and vitamin c in mushrooms all contribute to heart health, because they work in our body to regulate blood pressure. They are also low in sodium, calories and fat.
Walnuts are a true beauty food and are also huge for heart health and the regulation of blood pressure. They loaded with omega-3 fatty acids which lower bad cholesterol and increases the production of good cholesterol. They work to destroy free radicals because they have the highest concentration of antioxidants found in plants and nuts. Your overall beauty can be increased by daily consumption of walnuts. They contain a ton of b vitamins as well as melatonin– which is known to help your body get a fuller/richer nights sleep. Beauty sleep = beauty sleep! If you’re interested in a full head of shiny hair and glowing skin, walnuts are your NUT.