I LOVE making buckwheat groats for breakfast! Not only do they taste amazing, I know I am packing in amazing nutrition to start my day. This mineral rich Superfood is low on the glycemic index, which means that unlike wheat flour, it’s carbohydrates break down slower– making them a more filling food for a longer period of time. Don’t let the name fool you, there is absolutely NO wheat in buckwheat, it is 100% a gluten-free food (little known fact- buckwheat is a fruit seed closely related to rhubarb). Buckwheat is a super versatile ingredient that pairs well with just about any fruit, nut, seed…. spice. This simple combo with pomegranate, strawberry and banana- sweetened naturally with dates was delicious!
Energy bomb for the morning- check!
- 1 cup buckwheat groats
- ¾ cup nut milk (or non-dairy milk of choice)
- 3 dates-pitted (can be substituted with 1 Tablespoon maple)
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon flax seeds
- ground cinnamon- dash
- Himalayan salt-dash
- Fresh fruit of choice-diced (I used pomegranate seeds, strawberries and banana)
- Take 1 cup buckwheat and place in glass bowl, cover with water and let soak overnight.
- In morning, drain buckwheat using strainer and set aside.
- Take nut milk, dates and flax seeds- place into high powered blender- blend on high until the dates and flax seeds are broken down.
- Add drained buckwheat groats, chia seeds, cinnamon and salt into blender and pulse until smooth.
- Take half of your diced fruit and place at the bottom of a mason jar or bowl, pour buckwheat cereal over fruit and then top with remaining fruit.